Thursday 2 May 2013

Fishing trip North Perth




Went on a 2 day fishing trip North of Perth. I drove along Marmion Ave past the Mindarie suburb and the newly developed areas until I came across sand dunes with tracks on the left. So I turned left off the road and followed the tracks towards the beach which was only obtainable via four wheel drive. I parked up in the sand dunes and walked a short distance to the beach. What we stumbled on was a perfect secluded beach fishing location, not a soul in sight. You could see a few reefs out in the ocean which told me that we might catch a variety of fish here. The fishing bait I used was prawns and chicken heart. I started fishing at 4pm and stopped as soon as the sun hit the ocean in the horizon. Caught 14 whiting which was a reasonable effort for 3 hours of fishing. Whiting's just such a beautiful textured and tasty meat. Early in the morning the following day proved to be the best time to fish. The tide was high which proved to be great fishing conditions for what we caught. I filleted and pre cut up my bait so I wouldn't waste fishing time. This time I used prawns and whiting which I cut into 1 cm pieces. I used size 4 and 8 hooks and rigged up my line 3 hooks 10 cm apart and a sinker on the end of the line. I started fishing at 6am in the morning, at first there were little nibbles here and there then bang the fish really started to bite. I caught a range of fish that morning, herring, whiting and a Dart swallowtail which put up a sensational fight, these fish are from the trevally family and they will Dart through the current with such power to try and avoid capture. Most fishermen don't go for them but personally once the fish is filleted it is a great tasting fish. Dart fish are also not common around here so you could imagine my surprise when I realised what it was. If your targeting Dart fish they normally go for worms, prawns or whiting and they love surfing waves. Over all I was pretty impressed with my catch 24 fish in total that morning, which I later filleted and cooked straight on the pan.

Some whiting catch

Whiting, herring and Dart Swallowtail
Filleted fresh fish straight on the pan


One tip I've learnt about cooking whiting let it chill in the eski and place it skin up so it doesn't curl while you cook it :) !

No comments:

Post a Comment