Wednesday 8 May 2013

North Perth fishing

North Perth catch


Biggest yellow fin whiting I've ever caught

Flathead
We headed back to the same spot the following day for an early morning fish, this time I walked along the beach to find some nice reefy drops and sandy spots. I used prawn and whiting bait to lure in the fish.
I have never caught a yellow fin whiting the length of a 2 litre bottle of coke before, you can imagine my excitement when I reeled this big boy in. This was indeed my catch of the day, whiting is one of my favourite eating fish because the meat is sweet. As I casted out the line anticipating what species I might catch next not even 8 seconds in the water and chomp, something took the bait with a mighty big pull, it was a Flat head. Although these fish are in my opinion ugly and evil looking they are a great tasting fish. When you handle them make sure you wear a glove or use a towel to hold them as Flathead's are very spiny. Flatheads love whiting bait and sandy spots as they are bottom dwellers they will bury themselves in the sand and camoflage their skin to match their environmental background. I usually like to let the bait drop to the bottom and very slowly reel the bait in making frequent stops for a few seconds then very slowly reeling the whiting bait in. This keeps the bait on the bottom and lures the flathead to attack and suck up the bait. As soon as you get a hit it's important to maintain a pull on the line but don't pull your line in too quick cause you don't want to loose the fish.
Yellow fin whiting like shallow water. These fish are timid so keep the line light and use size 4 hooks with a small sinker. when fishing you can cut a drinking straw or put a red bead above the hook to attract the fish. Whiting love prawns or worms but remember keeps the line light a big splash with a huge sinker will scare away the fish.
I was pretty happy to catch some Herring that day too. Herring normally like to stick together so if you catch one there's bound to be a school of them swimming around. Herring like deeper waters they only come out to more shallow parts at night time. These are the silver fish of the sea, they're tasty!  I usually like to put butter and garlic in the herring and wrap them up in alfoil and straight in the oven to bake.
I did catch 4 rock cod through out the morning also, cod like the offshore reefs the bait they like to eat are prawns and fresh filleted fish. Personally I don't go for the texture of the meat, it's mushy and bland. These fish are slippery little buggar's when you handle them as they feel slimy. However they are a beautiful fish to look at. I've tried eating it fried in a pan, battered and grilled. Each time I've cooked it I've always ended up  with a dull flavoured, mushy fish, but if anyone's got a great recipe they want to share, post it up, maybe there's something I've yet to learn about the art of cooking cod.

Herring
                                                   
Rock Cod

 

No comments:

Post a Comment